Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Being Considerate

Being Considerate is not that hard to do.  Not that hard at all.  It's simply just treating others the way you wish to be treated - which my engineering ethics book says there is some similar concept in the majority of religions.  Not to mention its a bit apart of our social contract. 
 
I like to be helpful to others, especially when they ask for it.  I know that if I asked for help, I would want my friends to drop everything and help me out with whatever I asked them for help with.  I know it is hard for me to ask for help, and I assume it is the same for others.
 
So last night when I was on a roll with my homework and my friend, Holly, asked me for help I was willing to drop everything for her and help.  I assumed she was very concered about what she was asking for help with due to the fact that she asked me at 11:15 and there was a midnight deadline.  
 
What was this deadline you ask? At UD you can live in the same house year after year as long as you sign up by a certain day with as many students as can live there agreeing to live there next year. So they have a group of four, but the house is a five person house.  I call my contacts and locate some people - one of which who is a very good possibility to have live with them.  Holly is too scared to call her and ask if she was willing to live with them.  After I had spent twenty minutes scrambling and talking to people I haven't talked with in over year. She can't respect the time I put in to call this girl up and see if she would be willing. One of her reasons was that she was busy doing homework.  Well, so was I.  Silly me - I dropped my homework to help you.  Guess I should have continued multi-tasking.  Because it wasn't that important to you. 

So please, take this as a learning experience. If you ask someone for help, please be willing to help yourself.  If someone provides you with all the resources to accomplish your goal, do NOT back out because it might be 'awkward'.   Just bite the bullet.  It's not fair to the other person to put in all this work for you to be successful, and then for you not to do anything.  I know I am now not as willing to help Holly because if this is what happens when I help, why would I want this to happen again?
 
Sorry this is negative, but it is just weighing upon my mind. May your Tuesday be filled with laughter and happiness.
 photo lydsawkwardlifegmailcom-09_zpscb920196.png

No comments:

Post a Comment