Saturday, September 15, 2012

A Book?

So recently I read a book by Samantha Schutz.  It was called, 'I Don't Want to be Crazy.'

I'll type what's inside the little flap of the book, so you can understand what the author wanted to share about this book.

"The harrowing, remarkable true story of one girl's struggle with anxiety disorder.

This is a true story of growing up, breaking down, and coming to grips with a psychological disorder.  When Samantha Schutz first left home for college, she was excited by the possibilities--freedom from parents, freedom from a boyfriend who was reckless with her affections, freedom from the person she was supposed to be.  At first, she reveled in the independence--but as pressures increased, she began to suffer anxiety attacks that would leave her mentally shaken and physically incapacitated. Thus began a hard road of discovery and coping, powerfully rendered in this poetry memoir."

It was interesting reading how another person dealt with anxiety. As you may or may not know,  I have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety!  :)  haha.  I mean that isn't terribly happy.  But I have gotten help.  I visit a therapist.  I think she's a therapist, and not  a psychologist or psychiatrist. I'm pretty sure she's a therapist at least.   Either way.  I talk to her about my life and figure out how to deal with issues and such and talk about my life.  It is helpful I think.  There are a lot of things that I just don't know how to talk about. And I don't have to make sense or worry about her feelings.  And I was put on some drugs.  Those help a lot.  Something about how they help balance hormones or something.  I don't know exactly.

I didn't see her for like a couple months (her, being my therapist.  I call her Janet.  Because that is her name.  and less weird when you mention it).    And She said this past week, I seem happier.  Which Is what i definitely feel. With having friends, and people to talk to during school,  and the change in my emotions, and being able to handle all my emotions better, or more appropriately rather than shutting down, and being able to recognize that what I feel is reasonable and not out of line,  adds exponentially to being happy.

But Back to the book.  It was nice reading about how Samantha felt about different issues.  And knowing I'm not completely insane with how I felt.  

It was a good read.  I could have lived without the fact that she smoked weed all the time.  But it is worth reading if you want to. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment